Over the weekend I decided to bake some cupcakes and I thought why not turn them into butterfly cakes? A summer time British tea party usually includes butterfly cupcakes, they are great fun to make, and taste delicious.
– 4oz butter
– 4oz caster sugar
– 4oz self-raising flour
– 2 eggs
– Vanilla essence
– Vanilla buttercream
– Sprinkles or icing sugar to decorate
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and line your tray with cases.
- Start by creaming together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy in texture.
- Next beat in the eggs one at a time with 1 tbsp of flour.
- Add the remaining flour and fold with a metal spoon.
- Then add vanilla essence to taste, personally I love vanilla so I tend to add a plentiful amount to my mix!
- Spoon the mixture into your cases, 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut off the tops of your cupcakes, then cut the top piece in half.
- Fill the center with buttercream, and add the two halves onto the top, arranging them to form the wings of a butterfly.
- Decorate with sprinkles and/or powdered sugar.
Jade Anna x