I love Halloween if you hadn’t guessed from that enthusiasm and to kick off my Halloween blog posts, here’s the first all about my superstitions, as I’m a very superstitious person! Enjoy.
- Don’t walk under ladders. Seriously. Even if it is safer than walking around the ladder, never walk under it, you could end up in an alternate universe or something.
- Don’t open a packet of crisps or anything in a packet upside down!
- “Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!” It’s true.. probably.
- Stepping on the cracks on the sidewalk is never good.
- If a black cat crosses your path, you’re screwed.
- Bad luck comes in threes. If it’s happened 3 times it won’t happen again!
- Don’t break a mirror, you’ll have seven years bad luck and I’m not lucky enough as it is.
- To prevent bad luck after tempting fate, say “touch wood” and ideally touch something made of wood, but if not then your head is fine!
- Don’t put shoes on the table. I’m not sure if this is just meant for new shoes but I don’t put any shoes on the table just in case.
- Wink at magpies for luck. “One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy. Five for silver, six for gold, seven for a story never to be told”. It’s ambiguous whether you should wink or salute a magpie, and to all the people who say “why wink at it, it can’t see you?” Why do you salute it then because it clearly can’t see that either?!
- Cross your fingers for luck. Or toes. Or any limb that is able to cross.
- Do not open an umbrella indoors even if it’s raining outside and you want to make a fast get away, never, ever, do it.
- Friday the 13. Okay so nothing bad has ever happened to me on Friday 13 (touch wood), regardless, it still feels unlucky and I do not want to tempt fate.
- A four leaf clover is lucky, so is a horse shoe, a rabbits foot, bird poop, and every other lucky charm. They’re all lucky!
- “Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue”.
- “Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I make tonight”. Wishing upon a star, even if as a child I probably used to wish on more flashing aeroplanes than stars themselves.
- A full moon is always creepy.
Thank you for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it!
Jade Anna x