These hot chocolate inspired cupcakes are delicious and incredibly Christmassy. They are made up of a chocolate sponge cupcake, peppermint buttercream and adorable decorations.
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
110g (4oz) Butter or Margarine
110g (4oz) Caster Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
75g (3oz) Self-Raising Flour
25g (1oz) Cocoa Powder
Ingredients for the buttercream:
250g (10oz) Butter
300g (12oz) Icing Sugar
4-6 drops Peppermint Extract
Red and Green Food Colouring
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Place your baking cases into a cupcake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs adding flour if the mixture begins to curdle. Sift the rest of your flour and cocoa powder and fold with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into your baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are well risen and firm on top. Leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Cream the butter, milk, icing sugar and peppermint extract until light and fluffy. Continue to add icing sugar until your buttercream is the consistency you want.
- Into an icing bag line two rows; one with red food colouring, the other with green. Then gradually spoon in your buttercream. Your icing will have green and red stripes (like a peppermint).
- Finish off your cakes by icing them to look like whipped cream, adding a candy cane to look like a handle and sprinkle on marshmallows, chocolate shavings and broken candy canes.
Thank you for reading!
Jade Anna x